PARTNERS FOR THE RIDE
- Horse Services
- Horse Reports
- Horse Searches
- Prize Programs
- Half Saddlebreds
Half American Saddlebred Registry of America
The Half American Saddlebred Registry of America was founded in 1971 by Roberta Nye Busch, who perceived a need for a recording organization when owners from other breeds bred mares to her American Saddlebred stallion, Flying Eagle Peavine 32802. After 25 years at the helm of the Registry, Busch requested that the American Saddlebred Horse Association become the administrator of the program. ASHA stepped into the role on July 15, 1996.
The Registry reflects many breed crossings with American Saddlebred mares and stallions. Registered Half American Saddlebreds are found in the United States, Canada, France and Germany.
The Half American Saddlebred offers characteristics similar to his Saddlebred parent – smooth gaits, willingness to work with people, intelligence and versatility. The Half American Saddlebred can be a performance horse, trail horse, endurance horse, jumper, dressage, eventing, carriage horse or just a backyard friend.
Showing an American Saddlebred or Half-American Saddlebred?
The American Saddlebred Horse and Breeders Association (ASHBA) offers Sport Horse High Point Awards for horses registered with the ASHBA or with the Half-American Saddlebred Registry (HASRA).
ASHBA Half Saddlebred Futurity
The ASHBA Half Saddlebred Futurity is an open Weanling Futurity for Half Saddlebred foals registered with the ASHBA Registry. Nominations are due April 30 for a single fee of $150 for the foal only (no sire or dam nominations required). The sire or dam must be a purebred American Saddlebred registered with the ASHBA Registry. The Half Saddlebred weanling class will be held at the All American Horse Classic in Indianapolis, Indiana, in September.
2023 Half Saddlebred Futurity Nominated Weanlings - available after May 1
2023 Half Saddlebred Futurity Weanling Nomination Form - due May 1, 2023
2023 Half Saddlebred Futurity Rules
ASHBA Half Saddlebred Record Champion (CH-HS) Program
Effective December 6, 2021, the ASHBA Board of Directors voted to approve and accept the champion designation, CH-HS, program for Half Saddlebreds. To become a Half Saddlebred Champion (CH-HS), a registered Half Saddlebred must have earned a total of 15 points at a USEF licensed, USEF Lite &/or ASHBA Star Show. Points will be eligible retroactively for newly registered Half Saddlebreds, as long as previous competition records can be verified by the ASHBA Registry.
- Half Saddlebreds, registered with ASHBA, competing in Half Saddlebred classes, any breed classes (e.g. Half Arab), or any open to all breeds classes, must earn 15 points
- Only 3 points at a single show will be allowed
- Only 3 points won in "In Hand" classes will count toward the total of 15 points required
- Only 3 points won at ASHBA Star Shows will count toward the total of 15 points required
Half Saddlebred Record Champion Application and Rules
Registration in the Half Saddlebred Registry requires ONE PARENT (sire or dam) be a purebred American Saddlebred duly registered with the ASHBA. A full-blooded American Saddlebred cannot be accepted for registration as a Half Saddlebred. The purebred American Saddlebred Certificate of Registration must be in complete order with ASHBA before any offspring will be considered eligible.
In addition, the following must be submitted to the Half Saddlebred Registry of America:
- A Half Saddlebred application for registration must be completed and signed by the appropriate owner(s).
- The recorded owner of the horse's sire must complete and sign the breeder's certificate.
- Four color photographs (front, back, and both sides) must accompany the application.
- The correct registration fees must be submitted with the application.
- Registration - all ages $50
- Registered with another breed Association $35*
- $50 DNA testing fee (mandatory)
- Registration - all ages $50
*If the horse to be registered is an older horse and breeding proof cannot be secured, but that horse is registered with another registry, then a copy of the papers from the other registry will serve as breeding proof.
Download the application to register your Half American Saddlebred.
FAQ's - Registering a Half American Saddlebred
Transfer of Ownership
Transferring ownership with the Half Saddlebred Registry of America is easy to complete. On the reverse side of the Certificate of Registration, space has been allotted to record transfers of ownership. The current recorded owner must:
- List the name and address of the person(s) to whom they sold or gave the horse.
- Include the date of sale.
- Sign where indicated. If the horse is registered in two or more names, all owners must sign.
- Submit the original Certificate of Registration to The Half Saddlebred Registry of America with the appropriate fee, $25 per transfer.
The change in ownership will be recorded with The Half Saddlebred Registry of America, and a new Certificate of Registration is mailed to the new owner.
If the original Certificate of Registration has been lost, then the following must be submitted to The Half Saddlebred Registry of America:
- An affidavit for duplicate papers must be completed and the signature of the applicant notarized.
- Four current photographs of the horse (front, back, and both sides) must accompany the affidavit along with the processing fee of $25.
- If a sale has occurred, then a copy of a bill of sale or other documentation to prove the purchase will be necessary to complete the transfer, along with the transfer fee of $25.