PARTNERS FOR THE RIDE
- Youth Club Programs
- Youth Activities
- Charter Clubs
ASHBA Youth Awards
The American Saddlebred’s style, good looks and reliable disposition have long made him a popular choice for children and youth. For more than a century, small children have taken their first riding lessons on Saddlebreds, soon competed on Saddlebreds in a variety of disciplines, and remained devoted to the breed for a lifetime. It is no accident that many of today’s breeders, trainers and owners are second-, third-, fourth- and fifth-generation American Saddlebred devotees.
The American Saddlebred Horse Association has developed a number of youth awards that are designed to increase participation, encourage good sportsmanship and allow youth to enjoy competing with Saddlebred enthusiasts.
ASHBA Youth Award
The ASHBA Youth Award is a High Point Award, which recognizes youth members who have demonstrated a commitment to ASHBA Youth Programs through participation and achievement in activities that promote the American Saddlebred.
How It Works
ASHBA Youth Clubs Yearbook
The purpose of this award is to honor ASHA Youth Clubs with well-rounded programs, as depicted in a yearbook. The yearbooks will be judged on layout, neatness, the imagination of presentation, and general impression. Yearbooks are due to the ASHBA Office no later than January 5, 2023.
Learn More About Yearbooks Here
Guidelines for ASHBA Youth Club Yearbooks
Academy Awards Program
The American Saddlebred Horse and Breeders Association Academy Awards program encourages and recognizes youth and adults participating in academy classes at horse shows throughout the country. Academy classes create an opportunity for beginning saddle seat riders to develop and fine-tune their horsemanship skills, sportsmanship, and appreciation for the American Saddlebred.
An Academy class is any class offered at a local tournament in which two or more stables are participating or any class at an open show that is designated "academy." Participants compete on horses designated as school horses, or horses that are regularly used in riding lesson program instruction. Acceptable riding attire is jodhpurs or dark pants, boots and dress shirt, or a sweatshirt bearing the stable’s logo. Riding suits are unacceptable, and protective headgear is optional. Read about ASHBA's Academy Guidelines here.
Academy Awards Rules
- Points accumulate between October 1 and September 30 of each year and are tabulated by riding instructors.
- The point sheets are to be sent to ASHBA by October 31 of the award year for verification.
- One (1) point is given for participating in an academy riding or driving class. One (1) point is given for placing 2nd – 8th in an academy riding or driving class. Two (2) points are given for placing 1st in an academy riding or driving class.
- ASHBA membership is required in order for the points to count.
- A bronze medallion will be awarded for earning 15 points in the first year of competition, a silver medallion for 15 points in the second consecutive year, and a gold for 15 points in the third consecutive year.
- Download the ASHBA Academy Award Official Points Report
- Download Printer-Friendly Version (barn use only)
- ASHBA Academy Guidelines
ASHBA Academy Master Medal Award
ASHBA is proud to offer this award, which goes beyond the ASHBA Academy Awards program. After participants in the Academy Awards Medal Program attain their first gold medal, they then have the option to continue with the Academy Awards program by earning gold medals on a yearly basis or enter the Academy Master Medal Awards Program, which encourages participation in promotion, education, and continued involvement with the American Saddlebred.
Download the Master Medal Activity Report.
The Frank Ogletree Youth Award
The Frank Ogletree Youth Award honors ASHBA Youth Members who have exhibited a true sportsmanlike attitude throughout their show careers. All nominations must be in writing and include a brief description of why you feel this person qualifies for the award.